Wednesday, December 29, 2004

525,600 minutes in a year

It has been a sad year. Earthquakes, tsunamis, avian flu, missing children who turn up dead, freak car accidents taking away loved ones.. Bad things come together hor? How come good things don't? I've been watching the news. And worrying about our dearest Indian Princess, Mira. Glad that Nad has managed to contact her and she's safe and sound. Hope Aunty Betty and Annika will be safe too. I feel sorry for the 63,000 who died. I wonder if I should feel relieved for the people who survived, but lost their loved ones? I know if it was me, I'd choose to go with them. What is life without the ones you love? God is warning mankind. It was 1 week before 2005 when the earthquake struck and the tsunamis started. Is the world going to end? Or is it just a test? A test of our courage, our love and our willingness to help? I've never felt so glad to be living in tiny Singapore. An island shielded by huge land masses that seem to take the worst of any natural disaster. Heavy thunderstorms, floods, earthquakes, tornadoes. I feel the gloominess in the air. I can almost sense the kind of helplessness that's overcoming the people in the affected areas. Or maybe I can't. I haven't been trapped in debris, swept away by gigantic waves or hit by falling houses and cars. I haven't had to live without drinking water, permanently sleep in a tent, wade through the streets flooded with water or share a roof with probably hundreds of people. Here we are, sitting comfortably in our chairs, watching tv, shopping for gifts, planning for new year celebrations, enjoying feasts. I almost feel guilty. For celebrating. For laughing. For making plans for new year. Yet, there's nothing much I can do. I can only donate clothes, money, food. Today, that indian woman "conveyed" a message from my boss to me. I wasn' t supposed to have breakfast at the cafeteria. And got pissed with someone else who said something too. I ended up being pissed off with almost everyone in the office. Even Jenny, cos she said she was downstairs watching a soccer match. And here I was, stuck in my puny cubicle, typing dumb stuff into the system. But then I thought, there are people worse off than me. I should learn to look on the bright side. So I started thinking. At least I can quit whenever I want, if I really don't like it. At least I get paid. Well enough. At least I have people who stick up for me and cheer me up. Oh wells. That should get me through Jan and Feb. 2 months more only. I'm sure I can get through it. But, I still can't stand the whiney Indian woman and people shouting in their rooms. And laughing. Then complaining they are trapped in mountains of work piling up. One of these days. I'll not be able to take it anymore. And scream my head off at them! "IF YOU SHUT UP AND STAYED AT YOUR DESK LONG ENOUGH, YOU MIGHT JUST ABOUT FINISH ONE WEEK'S WORTH OF WORK, DONKEYS!" "NO POINT COMPLAINING YOU'RE BUSY AND BEHIND TIME, YET SPEND HOURS IN SOMEONE'S OFFICE LAUGHING YOUR DONKEY HEADS OFF!" "SO! YOU THINK YOU OWN THE BLOODY OFFICE? YOU DO REALISE THERE ARE OTHER BEINGS IN THE OFFICE WHO ARE ACTUALLY DOING WORK?! IT WOULD BE QUITE NICE OF YOU IF YOU COULD JUST TALK A LITTLE SOFTER AND LAUGH A LITTLE LESSER, YOU KNOW!" "SO WHAT IF I HAVE A LONG BREAKFAST, HUH!? I DO TWICE AS MUCH AS YOU AND I ACTUALLY HAVE MOUNTAINS TO PROVE IT, ASSES!" Ok. I'm done. Sorry for screaming. I actually feel like a can of compressed air waiting to explode. I don't really give F*** about this shit job. I should just quit and let you handle all the shit. Bah. Humbugs. Cockroaches. Rats. *Rolls eyes* Thank god for the NS guys in my department. And Jenny. They are the reasons I'm staying. At least for the time being. It's the time of the year again, to make new year resolutions! I only have one. And that is... "Not to make any new year resolutions!" Because I know I can't keep them. So there. Sorry for screaming.

No comments: